Sunday 28 December 2008

Roll on 2009

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas. It was ok here in the madhouse, a bit subdued for reasons I'll go into later but ok. The kids were happy with thier presents and I got some lovely bits, including a set of harmony options, some blocking wires and a subscription to Yarn Forward.
I managed to get some knitting done as well and finished my clapotis on boxing day. It is wonderful, so cosy and snuggly.
































Its now that quiet bit between Christmas and New Year and I'm reflecting on the last year and looking forward to the next. This year wasn't the best, too much hassle, illness and horrid things happening. It was all topped off by my Brother and his fiancee splitting up just before Christmas. He is devastated and is now going to be battling for access to his son as she isn't known for being amenable on that front. She has another little boy who isn't my brothers and she lied through her teeth to stop his Dad seeing him. Apparently she has another bloke lined up already, I really feel for those two boys, how long will this 'Dad' be on the scene? In the meantime my brother is falling to bits and missing his son like crazy.
But I need to put all that behind me and look forward. I need to be more positive in 2009. I have already started to make decisions about how to try and make next year work, and here they are. (At the very least I can look back next year and laugh!)

1.) Lose weight. I am not going to kid myself anymore that I am happy with my weight. I'm not! I'm the biggest I have ever been and I really need to lose as much as possible. Its my 40th in March so I intend to be significantly smaller by then and by summer I would love to get back into the dress I bought in France a few years ago. Lovely isn't it? (It needs a nice shawl, but I didn't knit in those days.)
































2.) Sort out the work situation. I love what I do for a living. I'm a Fingerprint Expert and have always been really proud of my job. I enjoy the adreneline rush of going to court and I still get excited when I get an identification, and thats after 18 years in the business. What I don't enjoy is where I work. The way the place is managed is awful. I have been asked to apply for a managers position but refused because they are all so overworked and the money is terrible. If I genuinely thought that I could make a difference I would give it a go but the problems lie higher up with the senior managers and me becoming a team leader wouldn't have any impact on that at all. Our shift allowance was taken away and now they are going to force us to work weekends for no extra money. We have basically been told 'if you don't like it then leave'. So that what I am going to do. I'm not the first and I'm sure I won't be the last. Maybe when we all start going elsewhere then things will change.

3.) Knit from stash. This one will save me money but the main reason is because I have so much gorgeous yarn that I feel I should use it rather than just fondle it every now and then. I already have patterns lined up for most of it so not buying any new yarn will force me into making the things I have been intending to for so long. Just as a side note to this, I'm not including fibre in this as I only have a little of that. (Also anything bought at Wonderwool won't count. Lol.)

4.) Be more positive. There have been a few things this year that have really dragged me down and I've found it difficult to pull myself back up. I am going to try and look for the positive in everything next year. I'm hoping that by focusing on the positive I will feel better in myself.

So thats next year sorted.

2 comments:

josiekitten said...

Your clapotis looks absolutely gorgeous Saira. I love it, and am off to look on Ravelry to see what yarn you used for it. I hope you achieve all your resolutions. I've battled for years with my weight, and over the last couple of years, have lost over 4 stone. So I know exactly what you mean. At the time, I kidded myself that I wasn't that overweight, but looking back at photos, I looked enormous! But I think it's definitely something that you need to feel ready to do for yourself, not just to please other people. One day I decided that things had to change, and I've not really looked back since. I don't think of myself as being on a diet, so if I fancy some chocolate (one of my pet loves!), I have some, so I don't feel that I'm depriving myself of anything. That's always been my downfall in the past, and then I've thought, 'well, I've blown it now, so I may as well eat those biscuits/crisps/chocolate.' Now I don't feel guilty if I have these things - it's all in moderation! I will keep my fingers crossed for you that the poounds fly off! And I'm with you on the knit from stash thing! I do NOT need any more wool! Hmmmmmmmmmm we shall see how it goes!

Darkest Knits said...

Saira I love all your resolutions but especially number 4. It sounds what I need too. Since August we have been sinking - its been one thing after another and consequently, Christmas has come and gone without it really being celebrated. I hope you have a much more peaceful and positive year and I look forward to seeing piccies of you in your dress! xxx